Friday, September 19, 2008

The Best Dogs In The Universe



I tell my dogs daily that I am very lucky because when I went looking to adopt a dog, I got the best dogs in the Universe. Okay, so I tell little white lies occasionally but you have to understand that their "universe" is rather small.
When we lost our Boarder Collie mix Cassie, my husband was lobbying for two dogs. We work all day and he felt that they could keep each other company. Great in theory but you've heard the expression "two can live as cheaply as one" well, "raising two dogs is as easy as raising one" is just as true. Also, I knew that I would be the one who would be doing 90% of the work, taking them to obedience classes, buying the food, visiting the vet, etc., etc., etc.
I have had a dog companion since I was in college. I've been lucky in that they have all been healthy and had long lives. Each of those four dogs has come from a shelter. So, we called F.A.C.E.S., Inc. in West Springfield, Ma. and arranged to see a litter of puppies they had. The home where the puppies were being cared for (F.A.C.E.S., Inc. is an all volunteer rescue and adoption service so the animals are kept in private homes) was about an hours drive from our house.
As soon as we entered the yard, a little black puppy came up to us. She was so beautiful and so cute, we both knew immediately that she was the dog for us. As I started making arrangements to sign the paperwork and write the check, my husband said, "Look over there. You have to see this other dog. The shy little guy in the corner." Somehow I just knew that if I looked, we would be signing paperwork for two dogs. Now I ask you, could you resist that face? I couldn't.
Two dogs rode home in the cabin of a pick up truck with us that day. Ten years later we are still one big happy family. Our cute little puppies have grown into two beautiful dogs and I've never regretted looking at the shy little guy in the corner and agreeing that we really did need two dogs.
Because we adopted our "best dogs in the Universe" from F.A.C.E.S., Inc. our company, Laurel Mountain Basket Company, donates a portion from the sale of every dog gift basket and dog gift to that organization. Please visit our site, and know that if you purchase one of our beautiful gift baskets, you will not only be giving a favorite pet or pet owner a great gift, you will be helping a wonderful organization.

No comments: