Thursday, October 1, 2009

What Makes a Good Boss?

"The first thing the secretary types is the boss." Donald Trump


Friday, October 16th is Boss's Day. In 1952, Patricia Haroski while working as a secretary, registered National Boss's Day with the US Chamber of Commerce. It was a day that gave employees the opportunity to recognize and thank their bosses. Ten years later October 16th was officially proclaimed National Boss's Day.
Those of us who have worked outside of the home have had experience working with a boss. I encountered my first boss at the age of 11 when I worked a summer job picking cucumbers. Yes, it was legal for children to work on farms for pay in Massachusetts in the 1960's. Since then, I have held a number of jobs and have had a number of bosses.
I guess I have been lucky because, although there were one or two that I will be happy never to have to work for again, most of the bosses I have had were what I consider "good" bosses. One or two I'd even consider "exceptional".
While researching Boss's Day, I found the general criteria for considering someone a good boss, is that they are kind and fair. I agree that both kindness and fairness are excellent qualities to have in a boss but found the best bosses I had were good communicators and good listeners too. They were also generous with their time. They encouraged me to grow and were willing to teach me the skills I'd need to do so.
I am self employed at this time so I don't have a traditional "boss" to celebrate with on October 16th. But I will say thank you to all of my bosses. Each one is very special to me.
May be you will share with me the qualities you believe make someone a "good" boss. I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

alma walls said...

I totally agree with everything you said. I have been on both sides of the fence and one of the main key ingredients to all said is respect for and from your boss. I grew up on a farm and learned to work at a very young age. I learned to do a job well and to finish what I started. I was also taught that if you think you have a better way don't be afraid to speak up. May not be the case but at least the boss knows you are giving it your best. Yes above all they need to be good communicators and good listeners. We are always looking for praise when we do our job well but it is also important to say Thank You for being a great boss.