Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Hate To Cook

I never really liked to cook and since my husband thought his mother was a fantastic cook, I didn't even try to improve my culinary skills after we got married. I'm not foolish enough to compete with a legend. Although the kitchen and I are not on intimate terms, I do dabble upon occasion and I love to make home baked gifts for my friends.

Some of the holidays that I celebrate with family and friends are Chocolate Covered Cherry Day in January, International Pancake Day in February, Jelly Bean Day in April, and of course Fudge Day, June 16th.

In honor of Fudge Day, I am going to share one of my favorite recipes, "Festive Fudge". Here goes: 3 cups (8 oz) of semi sweet chocolate chips, 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk), dash of salt, 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts (optional), 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

In a heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt the chocolate chips with the sweetened condensed milk and salt. I prefer to melt the chocolate and milk in the microwave. Be sure to use a microwavable container not a metal saucepan!

When the mixture is melted remove from the stove or microwave. Stir in vanilla and nuts if you are using nuts. Spread this mixture evenly into a wax paper lined 8 or 9 inch square pan and chill for 2 hours or until firm.

Turn on to a cutting board, peel off the paper and cut fudge into pieces. Store in refrigerator.

Happy Fudge Day....Share a batch of homemade fudge with someone you care about!

Marie

No comments: